Press ReleasesReturn to Press Releases
Sunday River Opens Its Trails to Mountain Biking, Hiking, Scenic Chondola Rides, and Geocaching This Weekend
Monday, June 21, 2010
Social Media: Sunday River for its opening weekend this Friday, June 25. Choose from family-favorite adventures including mountain biking, hiking, golf, and scenic Chondola rides or, new this summer, test out your GPS know-how with geocashing. Come August, guests can also take advantage of the high-flying thrills of the resort’s new zipline tours.
Sunday River Summer Activities
• New! Geocaching: Sunday River’s geocaching adventure consists of finding 11 hidden GPS coordinates along the resort’s network of designated hiking terrain. Equipment is available to rent out of Sunday River Sports in the South Ridge Lodge and is $15 for full day use.
• New! Zipline Tours: Arriving this August, Sunday River is already busy breaking ground on five ziplines ranging from 100-feet to 300-feet in length. The five planned ziplines are located near South Ridge Base Lodge between the trails of Mixing Bowl and Tourist Trap, Outta Here and Thataway, spanning across natural ravines and man-made obstacles.
• Scenic Chondola Rides: The only lift of its kind in New England, guests ride the Chondola to North Peak to access downhill mountain biking and hiking trail heads as well as the Peak Lodge for an afternoon bite to eat. Part chairlift, part gondola, the Chondola includes eight-person passenger cabins along with six-person chairs with attached bike racks. Round trip scenic Chondola rides are $12 ages 13 and older ($10 with a seasons pass); $8 ages 6-12 ($6 with a season pass) and free for ages 5 and under and 80 and older.
• Mountain Biking: Sunday River is home to 30 miles of mountain bike terrain. New this summer, guests will find a bigger pump track, new skills park, and two new trails. Downhill mountain bike rentals are $80 for full day use of a full-suspension mountain bike and $40 for a front-suspension bike. (Prices are based on full-day adult mountain bike rental.)
• Hiking: Guests can take advantage of the resort’s 12 miles of designated hiking terrain or, with Grafton Notch and Evan's Notch State Parks nearby, you can find hikes ranging from easy loops suitable for kids to multi-day backpacking adventures.
• Sunday River Golf Club: Voted “Best Public Golf Course in Maine” by Golfweek magazine five years in a row, the Sunday River Golf Club was designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr. and features an 18-hole championship course that winds through one of Maine’s most picturesque mountain setting. The Sunday River Golf Club is open seven days a week.
Located in the mountains of Western Maine, Sunday River is also home to canoeing/kayaking escapes, ATV tours, fly fishing expeditions, mineralogy trips, an antique collector’s paradise, white water rafting, as well as abundant shopping, dining, and spas.
Sunday River is open Friday – Sundays, 10 – 4 p.m. through Columbus Day Weekend. For more information on events, activities and lodging packages, visit www.sundayriver.com or call (800) 543-2754.
Sunday River is located minutes from picturesque Bethel Village in western Maine’s Mahoosuc Mountains. A true four-season destination, the Sunday River offers eight interconnected peaks of downhill mountain biking plus two Grand Resort Hotels and golf at the acclaimed Sunday River Golf Club. Sunday River is a member of the Boyne Resorts family of resorts and attractions.