Press Release« All Press Releases
National Wife Carrying Championship Returns to Maine
Annual event kicks off resort's Fall Festival WeekendSeptember 15, 2016
Newry, Maine (September 15, 2016)—The North American Wife Carrying Championship returns to Sunday River in Maine for its 17th year as part of the resort's annual Fall Festival Weekend, Oct. 8¬-10, 2016.
Kicking off at 11AM on Saturday, October 8, 50 pre-registered couples will test their wife-carrying skills on a 278-yard alpine obstacle course in an attempt to win their wife's weight in beer and five times her weight in cash.
Showcased on Good Morning America and Live with Kelly, and featuring such celebrities as The Travel Channel's Bert the Conqueror, this event has been the subject of multiple Associated Press and Reuters photo anthologies, and has attracted competitors, spectators, and press from around the world.
Part of Sunday River's Fall Festival Weekend, spectators can also take advantage of lodging packages that start at $99 and a full schedule of events, including:
Saturday, October 8
- 11AM 17th Annual North American Wife Carrying Championship
- 9AM-5PM 33rd Annual Blue Mountain Craft Fair
- 12PM-3PM Wine Tasting Tent*
- 1PM-5PM Live Music from the Ghost of Paul Revere and Jason Spooner
- 3PM Kid's Pumpkin Pie Eating Contest
Sunday, October 9
- 9AM-3PM 33rd Annual Blue Mountain Craft Fair
- 10AM 3rd Annual Cornhole Championship
- 10AM Mountaintop Worship Service
- 10AM-2PM Bloody Mary Tent*
- 11AM-3PM Live Music from The Northside Ramblers and The Mallett Brother's Band
- Sunday River Sports Pre-Winter Sale
- Mountain Park Activities: scenic lift rides, mountain biking, zipline tours, twin zips, climbing wall, hiking, and disc golf*
-Kids' Games and Pony Rides*-Wagon Rides
*Admission and activity fees apply.
For more information about the North American Wife Carrying Championship or Sunday River's Fall Festival Weekend, contact Darcy Lambert at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-824-5243.
About Sunday River Resort
A four-season destination, Sunday River Resort is home to eight interconnected mountain peaks of world-class skiing and snowboarding and the most slopeside lodging in the East including two Resort Hotels, the Snow Cap Inn, Ski Dorm, and hundreds of condominiums. In the summer months, the resort offers 20 miles of lift-serviced mountain biking, Zipline Tours, and golf at the highly acclaimed Sunday River Golf Club. Sunday River is a member of the Boyne Resorts family of resorts and attractions and is located in Newry, Maine, amidst the scenic Mahoosuc Range.