Press Release« All Press Releases
National Wife Carrying Championship Returns to Maine
2017 North American Wife Carrying Championship to take place Saturday, October 7September 15, 2017
Newry, Maine (September 13, 2017)-The North American Wife Carrying Championship returns to Sunday River in Maine for its 18th year as part of the resort's annual Fall Festival Weekend, Oct. 7-8, 2017.
Kicking off at 11 a.m. on Saturday, October 7, 60 pre-registered couples will test their wife-carrying skills on a 278-yard alpine obstacle course in an attempt to win their wife's weight in beer and five times her weight in cash.
Showcased on Good Morning America and Live with Kelly, and featuring such celebrities as The Travel Channel's Bert the Conqueror, this event attracts competitors and former champions from all around the U.S. and Canada.
Part of Sunday River's Fall Festival Weekend, admission to the North American Wife Carrying Championship is free. Guests to Sunday River's Fall Festival Weekend at invited to reserve lodging at either of the resort's two hotels or inn. Room rates start at $109.
During Fall Festival Weekend, guests can also take advantage of the following events, including:
Saturday, October 7:
- 11AM 18th Annual North American Wife Carrying Championship (registration is closed)
- 9AM-5PM 34th Annual Blue Mountain Craft Fair
- 12PM-3PM Wine Tasting Tent*
- 1PM-5PM Live Music from Dark Desert Eagles and Zeme Libre
Sunday, October 8:
- 9AM-3PM 34th Annual Blue Mountain Craft Fair
- 10AM 4th Annual Cornhole Championship (registration is still open)
- 10AM Mountaintop Worship Service
- 10AM-2PM Bloody Mary Tent*
- 11AM-3PM Live Music from Carter Hulesy and Dave Gutter and Anna Lombard of Armies
- Mountain Park Activities: scenic lift rides, mountain biking, zipline tours, twin zips, climbing wall, hiking, and disc golf*
- Retail sales
-Kid's games and pony rides*
(*Admission and activity fees apply.)
For more information about the North American Wife Carrying Championship or Sunday River's Fall Festival Weekend, visit sundayriver.com.
For media inquiries, contact Darcy Lambert at email@example.com or 207-824-5243.
About Sunday River Resort A four-season destination, Sunday River Resort is home to eight interconnected mountain peaks of world-class skiing and snowboarding and the most slopeside lodging in the East including two Resort Hotels, the Snow Cap Inn, Ski Dorm, and hundreds of condominiums. In the summer months, the resort offers 20 miles of lift-serviced mountain biking, Zipline Tours, and golf at the highly acclaimed Sunday River Country Club. Sunday River is a member of the Boyne Resorts family of resorts and attractions and is located in Newry, Maine, amidst the scenic Mahoosuc Range.